December 2016 marked a significant milestone for the group as it announced the new MISC Sustainability Strategy. Essentially a five-year roadmap with specific targets to be achieved by 2020, the strategy runs in parallel to the group’s five-year business plan- the MISC2020. The Sustainability Strategy is a culmination of meticulous assessments and engagement sessions painstakingly conducted for the purpose of discovering and identifying issues that were most material to the organisation across the sustainability pillars.
The MISC Sustainability Strategy addresses 11 key aspects which are grouped according to six sustainability pillars namely Customers, Shareholders, Governance & Business Ethics, Employee, Environment and Community targets. Moving forward, as part of the rollout and implementation of the various strategic initiatives that are targeted to be completed by 2020, efforts are already underway to map the internal targets to the UN Sustainable Development Goals 2030. With a strategic focus on enhancing MISC’s social integrity, improving its environmental stewardship and creating shared-value for stakeholders, the MISC Sustainability Strategy serves as a roadmap to help the group navigate through current and emerging issues while staying true to its conduct as a responsible global corporate citizen.
• Established MISC’s Sustainability Framework in 2012 which sets out the commitment/principles to sustainability that takes into account the most material issues for the Group.
• Became a constituent of the FTSE4Good Bursa Malaysia ESG index when it was launched in 2014 and has been consistently achieving higher ratings year after year.
• Thrice shortlisted (2014, 2016 and 2017) for the prestigious ACCA Malaysian Sustainability Reporting Awards (MaSRA) in recognition of the high standards implemented for the disclosure of non-financial performance. MISC won the “Best First-Time Reporting Award” in 2014.
• Incorporation of sustainability elements into MISC’s new Mission Statements in 2016 that demonstrates the Group’s commitment towards sustainable value creation for its key stakeholder groups.
• The five-year MISC Sustainability Strategy was officially endorsed and approved in December 2016. Formal roll-out and implementation commenced in 2017 for the various programmes and initiatives of each pillar under the MISC Sustainability Strategy.
5 Gender Equality
Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
8 Decent Work and Economic Growth
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
9 Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
13 Climate Action
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
14 Life Below Water
Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development